Find here all upcoming webinars organised by SESAR Digital Academy and replay any webinars.
Greener arrivals and departures
This second in our series of webinars on smart and sustainable solutions for ATM will focus on greener arrivals and departures.
SESAR solutions aim to tackle fuel inefficiencies during the departure, approach and landing phases of the flight. This webinar will showcase some of these SESAR solutions as well as link to potential SESAR research, including:
- A completed SESAR 2020 research project on integrated arrival and departure runway sequencing, which has matured the technological developments and associated operational procedures that will make it possible to optimise engine start-up times so that aircraft spend less time with their engines on before take-off, in particular at the runway holding point, without negatively affecting runway throughput.
- Two ongoing SESAR Flight Management System (FMS) developments to support flight crews in the management of the vertical profile in the real ATM environment: the re-cruise FMS function, which saves fuel by levelling off after an early descent, and the permanent resume trajectory (PRT), which helps flight crews manage the rate of descent when flying on vectors.
- A recently launched SESAR 2020 exploratory research project that aims at investigating future concepts for providing pilots increased avionics automation support for the management of high-lift devices and landing gear actuation during the approach phase of flight in order to minimise the impact on the environment.
- Innovative applications of big data and machine learning for measuring the efficiency of the vertical profile based solely on surveillance data, which will enable a new generation of tools that will support controllers in factoring in the environmental impact of their clearances in real time.
Integrated arrival and departure runway sequence
Ake Wall, Senior Air Traffic Controller, Operational and Validation Expert, LFV
Avionics developments for improved vertical profile
Johan Boyer, System Engineer, Thales AVS France
Enabling environmentally-friendly approach profiles through novel pilot support functions
Fethi Abdelmoula, Researcher, DLR
Metrics for the efficiency of the vertical profile
Gabriel Jarry, Researcher, DSNA
Moderated by Olivia Nunez, ATM Expert SESAR Joint Undertaking
14 December 2020, 14:30 – 16:00
This is the last of 3 webinars in our series of smart and sustainable solutions for greener ATM. This webinar will provide an overview of SESAR solutions that enable environmental efficiency gains in the en-route stage of flight. More specifically, the webinar will:
- Provide an update on the latest SESAR research results on free route, which will make it possible for the flexibility and benefits of free route to be available even in the most complex and dense areas of European en-route airspace.
- Explore how ongoing SESAR research is building on completed SESAR 1 solutions to develop technical systems in support of operational concepts that will allow a more flexible civil-military cooperation, which will maximise the use of airspace,.
- Showcase SESAR-funded exploratory research into concepts that will make it possible to dramatically reduce the contribution of aviation to climate change by avoiding flying in the areas of the airspace where meteorological conditions would make aviation emissions particularly harmful.
- And finally, we will learn about the latest research on the potential application to aviation of wake-energy retrieval - a phenomenon observed in migrating birds such as geese, which fly in a “V” shape to save energy and benefit from the air upwash of the leader.
FRA in upper airspace, high and very-high complexity
Florence Serdot-Omer, ATM expert, DSNA
Max Canham, OPS development, Skyguide
Civil military cooperation
Yevgen Pechenik, Airspace Configurations, EUROCONTROL
Remus Lacatus, Senior Military ATM Expert, EUROCONTROL
Climate efficiency beyond CO2: Contrails and more
Sigrun Matthes, Project Coordinator, DLR
Wake energy retrieval
Nick Macdonald, Project Leader, Airbus
Moderated by Olivia Nunez, ATM Expert SESAR JU
Replay past webinars
|SESAR Digital Academy Webinar: Smart and sustainable solutions for greener ATM - Airport domain||19 Nov||More info||Replay|
|SESAR Digital Academy Webinar: SESAR U-space consolidated research results||12 Nov||More info||Replay|
Exploring the future vision and technological innovations in CNS
|22 Oct||More info||Replay|
|A holistic approach towards CNS||6 Oct||More info||Replay|
|Virtual Centres||29 Sep||More info||Replay|
|Remote Towers||15 Sep||More info||Replay|
|Artificial Intelligence (part 2)||24 Jul||More info||Replay|
|Artificial Intelligence (part 1)||22 Jul||More info||Replay|
|The European ATM Master Plan in a nutshell||30 Jun||More info||Replay|
|Recognising excellence through the SESAR Young Scientist Award||29 June||More info||Replay|
|A look back on the Digital Sky Challenge||30 Jun||More info||Replay|
|ATM architecture and CNS||23 Jun||More info||Replay|
|Project results on enabling trajectory-based operations||15 Jun||More info||Replay|
|U-space: From concept to reality||28 Apr||More info||Replay|
|Taking up the U-space challenge||28 Apr||More info||Replay|
|Demonstrating U-space||30 Apr||More info||Replay|