- Project ID ASPRID
- Project duration 2020-11-01 > 2022-11-30
- Total EUR 1.523.533,75
- EU Contr. EUR 1.235.195,00
- Status Ongoing
ASPRID (Airport System Protection from Intruding Drones), is the response to the request made from SESAR under the Exploratory Research view, in order to cope with the problem of protecting the airport operations from drone intrusion (careless or malicious) under a holistic and operationally oriented approach.
The Project proposes to investigate vulnerability of airport under the different types of threat and possible ways of response as well as to study the interrelations between all those aspects involving different scenarios. Risk analysis shall reveal and categorize the problem, from that, an architecture will be developed, dealing with the different steps and elements that can impact on operations, establishing adequate levels of alert, response and, if needed, neutralization.
In this way, the stepped approach of the project will show these mainstreams:
1. Identification of problem: Threat(s), assets to protect (Airport, ATM, Aircraft), operations,
2. Setting scenarios: Risk and vulnerability assessment, hierarchization, selection, requirements.
3. Definition of an operational oriented architecture:
a) At managerial level: Alert system and levels, Communications, Decisions, Response.
b) At Specific technology elements: Detection, Identification, Tracking, Neutralization.
4. Concept Validation activities: HMI based solutions, sensitivity studies, integration of elements and subsystems in the airport environment.
5. Concept Support activities: Review and assessment of regulations and procedures (normal and emergency).
ASPRID consortium members have experience with Airport and ATM operations as well as with drone performances and capabilities. A part of the consortium is also experienced in the development of SW and SW/HW based solutions to approach a system which is able to cope with the problem of decision making in real time by providing the end users with the correct level of awareness and response to deal with the type and level of threat.
- INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE TECNICA AEROESPACIAL ESTEBAN TERRADAS
- CENTRO ITALIANO RICERCHE AEROSPAZIALI SCPA
- EUROCONTROL - EUROPEAN ORGANISATION FOR THE SAFETY OF AIR NAVIGATION
- Soul Software S.R.L.
- AEROSPACE LABORATORY OR INNOVATIVE COMPONENTS S.c.a.r.l.
- OFFICE NATIONAL D'ETUDES ET DE RECHERCHES AEROSPATIALES
- AENA S.M.E. SA
This project has received funding from the SESAR Joint Undertaking under the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 890456