The Single European Sky ATM Research Joint Undertaking (SESAR JU) maintains this website to enhance public access to information on its activities. The SESAR JU’s goal is to keep this information and material timely and accurate. If errors are brought to its attention, the SESAR JU will try to correct them.
Whilst SESAR JU endeavors to keep the information up-to-date and accurate, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event may the SJU be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of the SESAR JU. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them.
Please note that it cannot be guaranteed that a document available online reproduces an officially adopted text precisely. Thus, in case of disagreement, the official adopted text will always prevail.
Every effort is made to keep this website up and running smoothly. However, the SESAR JU takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
This disclaimer is not intended to limit the liability of the SESAR JU in contravention of any requirements laid down in applicable national law nor to exclude its liability for matters which may not be excluded under that law.
By accessing any part of this Website, you will be deemed to have accepted the terms of this legal notice.
SESAR JU Copyright
This website and its content is copyright of the Single European Sky ATM Research Joint Undertaking (SESAR JU).
The SESAR JU authorises the redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form of this website, including documents and illustrations it contains, for non-commercial purposes provided this website is acknowledged as the source of the material:
© SESAR JU 2019
Use of SESAR logos
Find hereafter a zip file with all SESAR logos in a variety of formats, as well as SESAR Joint Undertaking Graphical Guidelines and the General Terms and Conditions for the use of the SESAR Trademark and Logo
SESAR Logos (zip file)
Use of U-Space Logo
In order to be entitled to use the U-space logo, you are kindly requested to complete the form below and agree with the Terms and Conditions .
By registering you accept the present Terms and Conditions and you certify that the information provided in the registration form is correct.
This Registration Form constitutes an integral part of the General Terms and Conditions for the use of the U-Space Logo.
The Registered Entity herewith certifies that the indicated information is correct.
The EU and SJU reserve their right to terminate the Terms and Conditions applicable between the Registered Entity if any of the data are determined to be incorrect.
The data collected in these Terms and Conditions will be protected and managed in accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data EU data.
Data protection at the SJU and Privacy statement
The SESAR JU is committed to user privacy. It only processes your personal data for limited purposes clearly, described in each specific privacy statement, and does not divulge them for marketing purposes.
All personal information is processed in line with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data EU data (the “Regulation”), as well as SESAR JU’s IT security and confidentiality rules .
Through this website, SJU does not transfer any data to third parties, however it relies on third party organisations for the provision of certain services, the privacy policies of each of them are provided below:
- Matomo/Piwik, for analytics data
- Digital Ocean, hosting of the web site with data centers in Frankfurt
- 20STM for online content management
- Flexmail, for the registration and management of subscriptions to its newsletter
All for them provide through their privacy policies for accountability towards the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (the “GDPR”). Neither of them use personal data for any statistical or behavioral advertising.
Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable person (Article 3(1) of the Regulation). The data subject is the person whose personal data are processed. 'Processing' of personal data means any operation or set of operations that is performed upon personal data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, deletion or destruction.
Examples of cases in which the SESAR JU processes of personal data. A system of records of these processings is maintained at the SESAR JU, and a link to each s specific privacy statement or section in this website is provided below:
- Procurement procedures and contract management;
- Registration, selection and management of independent experts under Horizon 2020;
- Grant management under Horizon 2020;
- selection and recruitment procedures;
- list of participants at a meeting or event organised by the SESAR JU;
- List of recipients for SESAR JU E-news
- social media monitoring.
The SESAR JU is the data controller and the relevant department is responsible for processing personal data. Only dedicated SESAR JU staff will have access to your personal data.
The data controller is responsible for ensuring that technical and organisational measures are undertaken so as to protect the personal data with an appropriate level of security. The data controller remains legally responsible if someone who works for him or her breaches the data protection rules.
Data subjects are informed of the identity of the data controller responsible for the processing of their personal data at the time of the collection or recording of the data by the SESAR JU, unless exceptions to the right of information apply, through specific privacy statements (notices).
Everyone has the right of information (Articles 15 and 16 of the Regulation), to know that their personal data are being processed and for which specific and limited purpose. In the context of the SESAR JU’s processing operations, this right is often fulfilled by the provision of a specific privacy statement (notice) to the data subject. The right of information is subject to certain exceptions, such as in those cases where the data subject has already disposed of the above-mentioned information, or where the provision of the information would involve a disproportionate effort, or where a restriction of the right of information constitutes a necessary measure to safeguard one of the legitimate interests mentioned in Article 25 of the Regulation.
The right to access (Article 17 of the Regulation) is the right to obtain confirmation from the data controller as to whether his/her personal data is processed and how it is processed. The data subject has the right to request a copy of his/her personal data processed.
Essential elements to exercise the right of access:
- Data subjects have the right of rectification without delay, of inaccurate or incomplete data concerning him or her (Article 18 of the Regulation), essential to maintain high level of data quality.
- The Right to erasure or “right to be forgotten” (Article 19 of the Regulation), allows data subjects to obtain from the controller the erasure of their personal data without undue delay when the processing is no longer necessary or is unlawful, the consent is withdrawn or the erasure is necessary to comply with a legal obligation. Certain exceptions such as the right of freedom of expression and information, public interest in the area of public health, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes, and exercise or defence of legal claims.
- Through the right of restriction (Article 20 of the Regulation), data subjects may request, under certain situations, the Controller to block the processing of data at a given moment and for a specific period of time. Blocked personal data can only be processed, with the exception of their storage, with the data subject's consent or for the purposes of legal claims or the protection of the rights of a third party.
- The right to data portability (Article 22 of the Regulation), allows data subjects to receive a copy of his/her personal data (which was provided to the data controller by him or her) in a machine-readable format. The data subject may also ask the data controller to directly transfer such data to another Controller.
Data subjects have the right to object (Article 23 of Regulation) at any time to the processing of data relating to him or her, except in certain cases, such as where the processing is based on a legal obligation or, when the controller can demonstrate an overriding legitimate interest or, for the purposes of legal claims.
The right to refuse (Article 24 of the Regulation) allows data subjects not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated decision, including profiling (if such decision has legal effect on him or her (except for certain situations, such as entering into a contract).
SESAR JU’s DPO can be contacted at SJU.email@example.com. The SESAR JU DPO:
- Provides advice and makes recommendations on rights and obligations of data controllers and data subjects.
- Cooperates with the EDPS (responding to his requests about investigations, complaint handling, inspections conducted by the EDPS, etc.)
- Draws the SESAR JU’s attention to any failure to comply with the applicable data, and in certain situations, he or she may investigate matters and incidents either upon a request of a data subject or on his or her own initiative.
If you feel that SESAR JU is using your data in a wrong manner, you can notify the data controller for the processing in question and ask to take action as per the misusing of your personal data, you may also contact the DPO for information of any issues related to the processing of your data.
If you consider that the processing of your personal data is infringing the Regulation, you may exercise your right to lodge a complaint with the European Data Protection Supervisor (the EDPS).
The EDPS is an independent supervisory authority responsible for monitoring and ensuring the application of data protection rules by European Union institutions and bodies, including the SESAR JU. The EDPS is empowered to hear and investigate complaints and to conduct inquiries, including on his or her own initiative. If a breach of data protection rules is found to have occurred, the EDPS may exercise the powers assigned to him under Article 58 of the Regulation.
This section lists the cookies that this website uses and describes their purpose.
You will also find some more detail here about cookies relating to our social media channels and Piwik analytics, the service we use for our statistics, including privacy measures, opting out and masking of IP addresses.
Visits to the SESAR JU website are logged. The information logs are used solely with the aim to better understand how people use the site. Analysis is performed by the Piwik analytics tool.
Hereunder more information on the cookies used on the SESAR JU website and why:
Piwik analytics cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. The SESAR JU uses the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. Cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors to the site come from and the pages they visit.
Piwik enables the protection of end-user personal data thanks to features such as IP address de-identification and a mechanism for users to opt-out so that their browsing is not processed for analytics purposes
By default, the browsing experience of website visitors is tracked by Piwik tool in order to produce anonymised statistics.
You may choose not to be tracked (opt-out). If you change your mind, you can choose to be tracked again (opt-in).
A banner will appear on every page of the web site, informing you of the use of coockies and giving you the possibility to opt-in or opt-out. If you choose to opt-in (and thus being tracked), you can always change you mind and opt-out on this page; Furthermore you will be asked for your consent every six months.
Please note: this feature will opt you out (or in) of cookies too. If you choose to opt-out, you will receive an opt-out cookie (piwik_ignore) so that your decision is remembered. If you regularly delete your cookies, you will need to opt-out each time you delete them.
The purpose of the SessionID cookie is to uniquely identify a user associated to the session. The cookie-related information is not used to identify you personally.
Cookies are not set by our display of social media buttons to connect to those services when our website pages are loaded on your computer (or other devices) or from components from those services embedded in our web pages.
Each social media channel has their own policy on the way they process your personal data when you access their sites.
YouTube: Some videos available on the SESAR JU website are embedded from SESAR JU’s official YouTube channel. YouTube’s privacy-enhanced mode is enabled: this means that YouTube will not set cookies for a user who views a web page that contains a privacy-enhanced YouTube embed video player, but does not click on the video to begin playback. Moreover, the application of the privacy-enhanced mode implies that YouTube will not store personally-identifiable cookie information for playbacks of embedded videos. More info available on YouTube’s embedding videos information page.
Twitter: Clicking on the Twitter icon on our website will re-direct you to the Twitter site, which has its own cookie and privacy policies over which we have no control.
LinkedIn: by clicking on the LinkedIn button on our website, you will be re-directed to the LinkedIn site, which has its own cookie and privacy policies over which we have no control;
If you have any concerns or questions about their use of your personal data, you should read their privacy policies carefully before using them.
Piwik is configured to store first-party cookies that expire after 6 months.
Piwik cookies enable the SESAR JU to track the following information about visitors. We use this information to prepare aggregated, anonymous statistics reports of visitor activity:
- IP address (masked)
- Location: country, region, city, approximate latitude and longitude (Geolocation)
- Date and time of the request (visit to the site)
- Title of the page being viewed (Page Title)
- URL of the page being viewed (Page URL)
- URL of the page that was viewed prior to the current page (Referrer URL)
- Screen resolution of user's device
- Time in local visitor's time-zone
- Files that were clicked and downloaded (Download)
- Links to an outside domain that were clicked (Outlink)
- Pages generation time (the time it takes for webpages to be generated by the webserver and then downloaded by the visitor: Page speed)
- Main language of the browser being used (Accept-Language header)
- Browser version, browser plugins (PDF, Flash, Java, …) operating system version, device identifier (User-Agent header)
- Language of the visited page
- Site Search
To improve the accuracy of the produced reports, information is also stored in a first-party cookie from our website and then collected by Piwik:
- Random unique Visitor ID
- Time of the first visit for the specific visitor
- Time of the previous visit for the specific visitor
- Number of visits for the specific visitor
- First party cookies are set by the website you’re visiting. Only that website can read them. In addition, a website might potentially use an external service to analyse how people are using their site. Piwik sets their own cookie to do this and does not use external parties. The data collected is masked and cannot be used to identify a particular visitor. They will not be shared with any other organisation for marketing, market research or commercial purposes. For persistent cookies, a random ID is generated by Piwik, which allows SESAR JU to identify when a user returns to the site. All persistent cookies have an expiration date (6 months), after which they are automatically removed from the user's device.
- Persistent cookies are saved on your computer and are not deleted automatically when you close your browser, unlike a session cookie, which is deleted when you close your browser. The SESAR JU retains full control of the data collected through first-party cookies by storing the data in servers fully controlled by the SESAR JU.
A page of SESAR JU web site contains a timeline that is built using a third party application. The _cfduid cookie from knightlab.com is necessary to render properly the timeline. It is used by the content network, Cloudfare, to identify trusted web traffic and is not used to store personal data.
How to control cookies from your browser
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can prevent cookies from being stored on your computer or device by changing your browser settings instructions for most frequently used browsers are given below:
Do not track preferences
Do not track is a function that allows visitors to opt out from being tracked by websites for any purpose including the use of analytics services, advertising networks and social platforms. Do not track options are available in a number of browsers including:
- If you enable do not track in your web browser, Piwik will respect your choice and you will see the following text appearing on the legal notice page (www.sesarju.eu/legal-notice) : "You are not being tracked since your browser is reporting that you do not want to. This is a setting of your browser so you won't be able to opt-in until you disable the 'Do Not Track' feature".;
- If you have enabled the do not track function, you will not be tracked. This is in addition to you opting-out of the aggregation and analysis of data for our website statistics;
- If you have not enabled the do not track option but you choose to opt-out from Piwik, your data will not be used by Piwik;
- if you have disabled all cookies from your browser, we will still collect some general data about your browsing (e.g. a record of a visitor to our website) but they will be less accurate and your visit will not be tracked (Piwik cookies are not used).
The SESAR JU relies on the external service provider flexmail.eu for the registration and management of subscriptions to its newsletter. This service provider is based in Belgium. Processing of personal data by or on behalf of the SESAR JU is compliant with Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the European Union institutions and bodies.
Social Media Monitoring
Will be added soon