2021-02-01 > 2022-12-31
TINDAIR - Tactical Instrumental Deconfliction And in flight Resolution
As demand for unmanned aerial systems (UAS) in urban settings continues to grow, so does the need to ensure unlimited, unrestricted and safe cohabitation of the airspace for all users.
The SESAR TINDAIR project set out to deliver a reliable tactical deconfliction service with a robust communication link to enable new aircraft types to be integrated safely into the skies alongside existing manned aviation and air traffic control. Innovative tactical deconfliction services were demonstrated in complex airspace.
The research featured four very large-scale demonstrations in suburban areas of the French cities of Toulouse and Bordeaux to test advanced U-space services including strategic deflection, tactical conflict resolution, emergency landing and in-flight mechanisms such as detect-andavoid - all necessary to enable UAS to operate in highly complex airspace.
The flights also provided an opportunity to demonstrate a tactical conflict resolution service module that embeds an artificial intelligence algorithm, which could be integrated into the future U-space deployments.
The core of the demonstration was to show the reliability of these essential services with each one focused on a different issue:
• Tactical deconfliction and prioritisation of medical emergency flights,
• Tactical deconfliction between different kinds of vehicles, including eVTOLS with simulated passengers,
• Tactical deconfliction and interaction with manned aviation,
• Tactical deconfliction and management of emergency landing.
The research also featured other activities such as safety and security, human factors and social acceptance, as well as emergency management.
The ultimate objective of this very large scale demonstration (VLD) project is to deliver strategic and innovative technologies that can drive competitiveness and UAM growth using an impact-oriented approach and demonstrate the safe integration of UAM aircraft as additional airspace users.
The results of the TINDAiR project help to:
- refine the safety, performance, standardisation and regulatory requirements to enable UAM with specific focus on U-space U3 services identified in the U-space Blueprint and refined by CORUS, and,
- unlock new and enhanced applications and mission types in high density and high complexity areas.
- PILDO CONSULTING
- INSTITUTE FOR SUSTAINABLE SOCIETY AND INNOVATION
- ROCKWELL COLLINS FRANCE
- C.I.R.A. CENTRO ITALIANO RICERCHE AEROSPAZIALI SCPA
- OFFICE NATIONAL D'ETUDES ET DE RECHERCHES AEROSPATIALES
- AEROSPACE VALLEY
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION
This project has received funding from the SESAR Joint Undertaking under the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 101017677