SESAR JU showcased projects results at the European R&I Days
The SESAR Joint Undertaking (SESAR JU) showcased the results of its research and innovation programme at the European R&I Days, 24-26 of September in Brussels.
Organised by the European Commission, the event is an annual policy event bringing together decision-makers, industry, finance, academia and business to debate and shape the future research and innovation landscape. At the same time, it aims to mobilise Europe’s citizens and grow their understanding of the essential role research and innovation play in addressing the challenges our society faces.
The SESAR JU took part in the exhibition in the sidelines of the policy conference, showcasing the results from its EU-funded R&I projects that have an impact on citizens’ daily lives.
Highlights of the stand included:
- A demonstration of augmented reality goggles prototype from RETINA, enabling controllers to control traffic no matter what the weather
- A virtual reality demonstration of Dassault’s enhanced vision system
- A interactive game from STRESS demonstrating their research findings on the neurophysical impact of automation on controllers
- A demonstration by MALORCA on machine learning of speech recognition models for controller assistance
- Presentation of the results by SAFE and its solutions to improve the safety of airport operations
During the three-day event, the SESAR JU welcomed some high level visitors to the stand, including Jean-Eric Paquet, the European Commission's Director General for Research and Innovation, and Grazia Vittadini, Chief Technology Officer of Airbus. Ms Vittadini was also part of panel discussions on the tomorrow’s aviation, which underlined the need to consider the entire aviation value chain, including air traffic management, when speaking of how to make flying more smart and sustainable. The panel also agreed on leveraging the pool of talent, funds and trust that has been established in public-private partnerships such as the SESAR JU and Cleansky JU in the next framework programme for research and innovation, Horizon Europe.