SESAR Digital Academy launched
2019 saw the launch of the SESAR Digital Academy - a learning initiative supporting Europe’s future aviation and ATM workforce. The mission is to nurture Europe’s brightest minds and advance learning, scientific excellence and innovation in aviation and ATM. The Academy aims to promote student mobility and a whole spectrum of learning opportunities, from fundamental research to industry-focussed applied research, and to enhance the knowledge, skills and employability of aviation professionals.
The SESAR Digital Academy seeks to bring together under one umbrella access to SESAR exploratory research activities and outreach relating to education and training, as well as professional learning opportunities offered by research centres, universities, industry partners and other entities within the ATM/aviation domain.
The mission and vision of the SESAR Digital Academy are complementary to those of existing aviation/aeronautics interest groups, associations and networks at European level.
The Academy’s mission is guided by the following set of values:
- Promoting the sharing of knowledge, ideas skills and expertise on air traffic management and aviation research across academia and industry, both within Europe and beyond;
- Nurturing the professional development of the future aviation workforce by creating learning and knowledge exchange opportunities;
- Advancing scientific excellence and know-how in ATM and aviation research, encouraging research across disciplines on the most promising ideas and concepts;
- Promoting equal opportunities in ATM and aviation research and more broadly the industry, recognising diversity and inclusion as key to the competitiveness of the industry.
Participants and Beneficiaries
The digital academy is an open initiative with a wide range of participants and beneficiaries:
- Students and Academia
- Research institutes
- Standardisation, regulatory and safety authorities
Sesar Academy at the World ATM Congress
A series of activities’ under the umbrella of the Academy will take place at this year’s World ATM Congress, including dedicated sessions on nurturing young talent in aviation (Europe for Aviation stand – 1151) and a SESAR walking tour for young professionals (Europe for Aviation stand – 849).