The SESAR Joint Undertaking will soon kick off a total of 29 new exploratory projects within the framework of the SESAR 2020 research and innovation programme. The projects will cover a wide range of topics aimed at fostering new and innovative ideas on the digital transformation of air traffic management (ATM) in Europe. A total of EUR 38.5 million is earmarked for the research from the EU’s Horizon 2020 budget.
The projects were selected based on the needs identified in the Aviation Strategy for Europe, the European ATM Master Plan, Flightpath 2050 - Europe's Vision for Aviation and the ACARE’s Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA). The projects will build on the results from current and previous SESAR research, relevant Horizon 2020 projects and other research activities.
Specifically, the projects cover a wide range of topics addressing the digital transformation of ATM:
- Digitalisation and automation principles for ATM
- Digital information management
- Environment and meteorology for ATM
- Safety and resilience
- Accelerating change in ATM
- Behavioural economics in ATM
- ATM role in intermodal transport
- CNS for ATM
- Innovation in airport operation
- Increased levels of automation for the ATM network
- Innovation in network management
- Automation and controller working position
- Innovation in CNS to enable digitalised operations
- ATM validation for a Digitalised ATM
- Control of IFR RPAS in the TMA
- “Remain well clear” for IFR RPAS integration in Class D-G airspace
- RPAS for manned flight contingency management
The SESAR Joint Undertaking is currently finalising the grant agreements with each of the selected projects, after which more details will be published about their scope and activities.