Air traffic management (ATM) is an essential part of European air transport and aviation, connecting cities and people citizens as well as boosting jobs and growth. While unseen and unnoticed by passengers, ATM plays several specific and important roles:
- Acts as a guardian of safety
- Connects European cities and Europe with the rest of the world
- Adresses climate change by enabling green andefficient routes
- Maximises current infrastructure while delivering advanced information services
- Acts as a catalyst for Europe’s competitiveness and innovative capacity
However, Europe’s ATM system is based on ageing technology and procedures and needs updating particularly in light of the expected traffic growth between now and 2035. This is where SESAR comes in. As one of the most innovative infrastructure projects ever launched by the European Union, SESAR’s role is to define, develop and deploy what is needed to increase ATM performance and build Europe’s intelligent air transport system.