"Whoever thinks SESAR is just another European research and development project is wrong. As the legal driver of the SESAR programme, we at the SJU will together with all our members and partners deliver the next-generation air traffic management system that Europe needs. This system will be of benefit for passengers, the environment and the industry."
Patrick Ky was appointed as the Executive Director of the SESAR Joint Undertaking by the Administrative Board on 12 October 2007.
He is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Joint Undertaking and is its legal representative. He performs his duties with complete independence within the powers assigned to him.
The Executive Director directs the execution of the SESAR project within the guidelines established by the Administrative Board to which he is responsible. He provides the Administrative Board with all information necessary for the performance of its functions.
The Executive Director shall in particular:
- employ, manage and supervise the staff of the Joint Undertaking;
- organise, manage and supervise the activities of the Joint Undertaking;
- submit to the Administrative Board his proposals concerning the organisation chart;
- draw up and regularly update the global and the annual work programme of the Joint Undertaking, including an estimate on programme costs, and submit them to the Administrative Board;
- draw up, in accordance with the Joint Undertaking’s financial Regulation, the draft annual budget, including the staff establishment plan, and submit them to the Administrative Board;
- ensure that the obligations of the Joint Undertaking, with regard to the contracts and agreements it concludes are met;
- ensure that the activities of the Joint Undertaking are carried out with complete independence and without any conflicts of interest;
- draw up the annual report on the progress of the SESAR project and its financial situation, and such other reports as may be requested by the Administrative Board, and submit them to the latter;
- submit the annual accounts and balance-sheet to the Administrative Board;
- submit to the Administrative Board any proposal involving changes in the design of the SESAR project.